Jens' favourite games - part 1, action

Medlem

Each year around this time we start to see all these lists of best this and that. In that spirit I'm going to publish my own list. Having played more games than most, I recently compiled a list of my favourite games of all times. This list ended up having about 20 favourite games (with even more runner-ups) that I didn't want to grade further. Separated into multiple genres, I will post that list during the next few days. But as they say in Las Vegas: A little less conversation, a little more action, please.

Jens' favourite action games of all time

• Bubble Bobble (C64) - A true classic that needs little further presentation. A cooperative platform-game that begs replaying. It's still one of the few games that I would call perfect and without flaws. Nintendo created a few sequels and spin-offs, but they may have changed too much and never recaptured the original. Recent updates are Bubble Bobble Revolution for the DS and Bubble Bobble Evolution for the PSP, both receiving disasterous reviews (< 50%).

• Paradroid (C64) - To be able to take over every enemy in the game still makes this top-down shooter very unique. This simple game-mechanics is very underused with only a few games like Messiash trying to further build on it. The robot and space-ship setting used in Paradroid with the simplistic graphics makes this game a very special memory (so much that I wrote up a game-concept of the game called Paradroid World, hoping to aquire the license but never got a response of the current holders). Remakes of the game exist in the form of SDL Paradroid and FreeDroid.

• Syndicate (Amiga) - The violence and drugs theme that you see in a lot of games noadays may owe some credit to this game. Game-mechanics-wise it took the best from god-sims and blended that with strategic and role-playing-elements. Sadly, trying the game today may be a challenge because of it's cumbersome interface and graphics.

• Turrican II: The Final Fight (Amiga) - It's possible that this game destroyed any chance of me getting excited about a platform action game again. It was easily the most beautiful game of it's time and with music to match. I later heard that Chris Hülsbeck who created the music wrote also wrote the music-player that utilized 5 channels, a noteworthy feat on the 4-hardware channel Amiga and therefore made it into My Idols list. I recently threw away all my Amiga discs (most of them had been corrupted) and the Turrican II discs were the only ones I kept.

Runner ups

• Cannon Fodder (Amiga)

• Elite (C64)

• Escape from Colditz (Amiga)

• Frontier (Amiga)

• Grand Theft Auto 3 - San Andreas (PS2)

• Metroid Prime (GameCube)

• Prince of Persia (C64)

• Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)

• Wizball (C64)

#blogg

Medlem

Om du gillade Wizball så kanske detta kan intressera dig: http://tigsource.com/articles/2007/11/03/wizball-remake

För övrigt är väl Syndicate och Bubble Bobble mina favoriter i din lista

Medlem

Ah! Det var en riktigt bra port faktiskt. Tack! Spelet i sig har väl kanske inte åldrats med någon vidare charm, trots den uppryckta grafiken. Men det är något särskilt med det där spelet...

Skägg.
10 Chambers

Åh, Cannon Fodder, varför görs det inte sådana spel idag?

signatur
Medlem

Håller helt med. Jag har länge velat göra ett MMO baserat på Cannon Fodder. Men det finns ju lite liknande titlar till Xbox Live Arcade, fast dom innehåller kanske inte exploration momentet.

Skriv svar